Saturday, August 22, 2015

Cancer

I honestly never thought I'd have cancer. I've had dreams about having it since I was little, but never did I think that at some point in my life I'd actually have it.

On August 17, 2015 I was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma, stage 2B.

I have cancer.

Let me start by saying that I'm going to live. :) Seriously. I'm not going to die. I have a very good diagnosis, survival rates for Hodgkin's are high, and through much pondering and prayer, I have had my own personal confirmation that I am going to be just fine. This is just a bump in the road of life that I must go over.

I will be starting chemo within the next ten days, and I will receive chemo via a mediport catheter that will be implanted in my chest. It sounds worse than it is. Trust me. After three rounds (for my diagnosis, this also equals three months) of chemotherapy, I will undergo some more scanning and tests to determine how well everything is going. At that point we will decided on more chemo or to also add radiation into the mix.

The awesome news is that I will still be able to teach and work and do my everyday things. I am going to have to learn to pace myself, however. Something I have never been good at doing, but there's no better time than the present to learn! :)

Every day we are learning more and more about the tender mercies and love of our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. Though this trial has come quickly and we are still taking it in at times, we have never felt more humbled and blessed by the arms that have reached out to help and support us. We have been blessed in so many ways within the past couple of weeks, and John and I are filled with so much love and gratitude.

Please do not be offended if you did not personally receive a phone call telling you about what's happening. And please don't be offended that you're finding out through this blog or Facebook. John and I did not choose to share this information via social media lightly. We decided to share it to be able to update on a regular basis our family and friends who are far away from us. We also thought it might be a good idea to share this news for support. Even though we are both very firm in the confirmation that I'm going to be just fine, we also know there will be hard days where notes or pictures from loved ones and friends will be a wonderful, welcoming distraction. :)

If you have any questions, ask me! I'd be more than happy to answer them. Also, please feel free to send any prayers or positive thoughts to John and I and our families. We are all feeling very positive, but again, we know there will be days where things are a little "cancery." And prayers and good thoughts will be much appreciated. :)

We love you all, very much! We'll update when we can, and again, feel free to ask questions. We love you!

5 comments:

Alesha said...

I'm very sorry to hear your diagnosis, but happy to hear it was caught in stage 2B. You are in my thoughts and prayers. My cousin has gone through this disease, and I'd be happy to connect you to her if that would help. Best of luck at the start of the school year! Have your students help you, and you will be amazed at how they will rise to the challenge. God bless!

Grace said...

You are so strong to have such a positive outlook! Rely on others and let them serve you during this time!! Much love and prayers coming your way!!!

Unknown said...

Liz, hang in there. Sounds like a good prognosis for this. As scary as it is, you can beat it! Love you!

Don said...

I am uplifted by your mature thoughts, the deep understand of life, the positive approach to challenges, you may be younger than me but I am looking up to you and strengthen by your blog. I am grateful for people like you take the gospel to their heart, and reflect them through their act. you are my hero. Love you and John, bless you and your family. Your Old Bishop Tam. you can call me when you run out of people to talk to. cell 404-641-0540

John and Liz Bragg said...

Thank you, everyone! :)

Wonderful married shenanigans and adventures. :)